Skip to main content
A: No. See your adviser in General College, Arts & Sciences, or your professional school.

A: Yes, any high school graduate who is qualified to do competitive college work can apply as a visiting student. Rising honor roll high school seniors can also apply. Contact Summer School at (919) 966-4364 or email Also, click on the “High school student” section of our web page for required documents needed for high school students to apply.

A: About 4,000 students in Academic Affairs attend First Session; 3,750 attend Second Session. About 85 percent are undergraduates. About 350 are visiting students from other colleges and universities, or recent UNC-Chapel Hill graduates.

A: For UNC-Chapel Hill students, credit hours and grades count the same as in fall or spring terms. For visiting students, transfer of grades or credit is determined by your home institution.

A: If you wish to transfer UNC-Chapel Hill academic credit, obtain written approval from the dean or adviser at your home institution prior to your summer registration at UNC-Chapel Hill. Such approval is for your protection only; it is not required by Summer School at UNC-Chapel Hill, which cannot approve credits for transfer. You must request a transcript from the University Registrar at UNC-CH to have grades sent to your home institution.

A: Yes. For housing options and rates, please contact the Department of University Housing and Residential Education, SASB North, (919-962-5401) or on the web at (

A: Aid may be available if you are a UNC-Chapel Hill student. Contact Scholarships and Student Aid, First Floor, Vance Hall, (919-962-8396) for details or click on UNC Office of Scholarships & Student Aid – Summer Financial Aid.

If you are planning to graduate in August, you could be eligible for financial assistance through the summer degree completion program, a partnership with Academic Advising, Scholarships and Student Aid, and Summer School. You become eligible for funding when you apply for summer graduation and enroll in all remaining degree requirements. For more information about applying for graduation, go to graduation.

A:Students who expect to use veterans educational benefits should register and then and then contact Veterans Services, CB# 2100, 3100 SASB North (962-8292) or online via the University Registrar’s Veteran Affairs webpage. If you are interested in meeting other veterans on campus, contact the Carolina Veterans’ Organization.

A: Summer courses, including summer online courses, are compressed into 5 1/2 week sessions. Classes meet Monday through Friday for 90-minute periods unless otherwise specified.  Maymester courses are compressed into 3 weeks with classes meeting Monday-Friday for 3 hours and 15 minutes.

A: Registration for Summer School will begin on March 21st (admitted summer visitors and UNC-CH depending on terms in residence) and March 22nd (all remaining UNC-CH students). To register, you cannot have any financial or other negative service indicators. If after the billing date for each session, you will have to prepay tuition to be able to register.

A: The typical full course load is two courses, usually six credit hours. The registration maximum is nine credit hours to allow a four-credit hour course or an extra one credit hour laboratory or physical activity course. High School students are limited to 4 credit hours per session.

A: When available, the current tuition and fees can be found at

A: Regular class attendance is a student obligation, and a student is responsible for all the work, including tests and written work, of all class meetings. No right or privilege exists that permits a student to be absent from any given number of class meetings. Students should check with the instructor for attendance policies.

A: Information on dropping a course can be found at

A: Whether instruction has started or not, it is very important to “un-enroll” or officially “withdraw” from your summer classes. To cancel your summer session (only done BEFORE classes begin), follow the instructions found on the Registrar’s website.

To withdraw from your summer session (only done AFTER classes begin), follow the instructions on the Withdrawal Process page.

Deadlines for these actions can be found at

A: A medical withdrawal is processed through Campus Health Services ONLY during the current summer session. If you are having difficulty, more information is available at If you need to medically withdraw AFTER the summer session, you would contact the Academic Director in Summer School.

A: If you are a student currently enrolled in a degree program at North Carolina Central University, North Carolina State University, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greensboro, or Duke University, and are registered at your home institution during a summer session, you may qualify to register at UNC-Chapel Hill through the inter-institutional program during the same session if space is available and you obtain the approval of your home institution (department, Dean, and Registrar). Please follow up with your home institution to inquire about whether the inter-institutional program will work for you.

If you are a UNC-Chapel Hill full-time, degree-seeking student, and are enrolled for at least three credit hours at UNC-Chapel Hill, you may qualify to register for a three-credit-hour course in the same summer session at North Carolina Central University, North Carolina State University, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greensboro, or Duke University and pay the tuition at UNC-Chapel Hill. Graduate and undergraduate students may obtain the Inter-Institutional Approval Form from the website at After completing the inter-institutional approval form (with appropriate signatures of approval), please return the form to the Registrar’s Office, which will process the request and forward it to the appropriate institution.

A: The University confers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in August. Though graduation activities are not held in the summer, August graduates are listed in the December Commencement Program and are invited to participate in the December graduation ceremony. If you plan to complete your degree requirements during the summer term and wish to graduate in August, you must apply for graduation through your ConnectCarolina account. Please visit the Registrar’s website for specific information about graduation and diplomas.