UNC-Chapel Hill students who attend Summer School should see their academic advisers on campus if they have questions about courses, drop or withdrawal deadlines, attendance, or other issues related to classes. Visiting students should see the dean of Summer School in the Summer School office at 134 E. Franklin Street, Room 200.

Eligibility to register. To register, you cannot have any financial or other negative service indicators. If one exists, the system identifies the office to contact to clear you for registration.

Adding or dropping courses. There are deadlines and restrictions on changing your course load. Refer to the information on drop and withdraw, and deadline dates under “Deadlines to Cancel, Drop and Withdraw.” Note: If you fail to attend both of the first two class meetings, you are subject to being dropped from the class at the discretion of the teaching department.

After the second day of classes, undergraduate and graduate students are required to have their school dean’s signature on a drop/add form when registering for the first time or making any course additions. Deans will approve registration or course additions after this date only for truly exceptional circumstances. Please see http://registrar.unc.edu/guide/registration-policies/drop-add-procedures/ for more information.

Deadlines and restrictions apply to changing your course load. Refer to the information on drop and withdraw, and deadline dates. You may use the system to add a course through the second day of classes in each session. You may use the system to drop a course through the second day of classes as long as you remain registered for at least one course. You may not use the system to reduce your course load to zero credit hours; instead you have to withdraw. See “Deadlines to Cancel, Drop and Withdraw” for drop and withdrawal deadlines.

Course restrictions. The ADD function also identifies any course restrictions specific to the course section that you are requesting. Academic departments may restrict course sections by student classification (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, etc), major, school, or any combination of the above. If you are not eligible to register for a course section, the system does not permit you to add it. Contact the teaching department to request approval to have a course added.

Transcripts. Official transcripts can be ordered online via the following link to the University Registrar’s Transcript Services webpage. The page provides comprehensive ordering procedures and contact information. If you have further questions or concerns following review of their web-page, the Transcript Services Team may also be directly reached via email at transcript@unc.edu or by phone at (919) 962-9851.

Veterans educational benefits. Students who expect to use veterans educational benefits should register and then and then contact Veterans Services, CB# 2100, 3100 SASB North (962-8292) or online via the University Registrar’s Veteran Affairs webpage.

Confirmation of enrollment.  If you are registered in a summer session and require an enrollment certification to be sent to an organization or agency requiring proof of enrollment, complete an online request as shown on the UNC Registrar’s Order an Enrollment Certification webpage,  or send an email requesting this from your UNC-CH email address to registrationservices@unc.edu (containing your name, your PID, what term(s) you would like the enrollment certification to show, and the email address/fax number/mailing address we should send the certification to).

Pass/Fail. By action of the Faculty Council, Pass/Fail is not an option during the summer, except when a course is regularly offered only on a pass/fail basis.

Medical Withdrawal. Contact Campus Health Services if you wish to withdraw for reasons of illness, whether you received treatment there or elsewhere. Only the Director of Student Health Services can authorize a medical withdrawal. The medical withdrawal is noted on your record without grades and without a semester in residence.

Academic Withdrawal. If you decide to withdraw from the University for reasons other than illness, please see http://registrar.unc.edu/academic-services/withdrawals-cancellations/ for information on submitting an online request.

Cancelling Your Registration. If you registered for classes, but changed your mind and do not want to attend a summer session, it is your responsibility to make sure that your registration is cancelled. If you cancel, you have no registration (no entry is made on your permanent academic record, no tuition and fees are charged, and no grades or credit are issued).

To cancel your registration prior to the term starting, contact the Office of the University Registrar at registrationservices@unc.edu.  In your email, include your name, PID, a statement that you want to cancel your registration, and include the specific term(s) that you want to cancel.

WARNING: If you do not cancel, your registration remains on your record; you will be billed and will receive a failing grade.

The last date to cancel is the day before the first day of class:

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 -First Session

Sunday, June 24, 2018 -Second Session

After the first day of classes, cancellations are not an option. If you do not plan to attend, you must withdraw (see “Academic Withdrawal” section above), and a a portion of your tuition will not be refunded (see http://cashier.unc.edu/tuition-fees/important-dates/ for the prorated withdrawal refund schedule)

If you have already paid tuition and fees, the Student Accounts Office will credit your account. To request a refund, contact the Student Accounts Office at cashier@unc.edu, (919) 962-1368, or 2215 SASB North, CB #1400.”

Inter-Institutional Registration. If you are a student currently enrolled in a degree program at North Carolina Central University, North Carolina State University, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greensboro, or Duke University, and are registered at your home institution during a summer session, you may qualify to register at UNC-Chapel Hill through the inter-institutional program during the same session if space is available and you obtain the approval of your home institution (department, Dean, and Registrar). Please follow up with your home institution to inquire about whether the inter-institutional program will work for you.

If you are a UNC-Chapel Hill full-time, degree-seeking student, and are enrolled for at least three credit hours at UNC-Chapel Hill, you may qualify to register for a three-credit-hour course in the same summer session at North Carolina Central University, North Carolina State University, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greensboro, or Duke University and pay the tuition at UNC-Chapel Hill. Graduate and undergraduate students may obtain the Inter-Institutional Approval Form from the website at http://registrar.unc.edu/guide/special-enrollments/ After completing the inter-institutional approval form (with appropriate signatures of approval), please return the form to the Registrar’s Office, which will process the request and forward it to the appropriate institution.

Summer Graduation. The University confers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in August. Though graduation activities are not held in the summer, August graduates are listed in the December Commencement Program and are invited to participate in the December graduation ceremony. If you plan to complete your degree requirements during the summer term and wish to graduate in August, you must apply for graduation through your ConnectCarolina account. Please visit the Registrar’s website for specific information about graduation and diplomas.