At describes the grading system and the method of computing quality point averages for undergraduates. Information on the grading system for graduate students can be found both on the above site and in the Graduate School Handbook at Undergraduate grades assigned to graduate students carry no graduate credit; they are useful for certification only.

NOTE: Undergraduate grades are the only grades given in courses numbered 399 and below. Students cannot opt to take a course pass/fail in summer. Pass/Fail is not an option during the summer term, except when courses are regularly offered only on a Pass/Fail basis. Grades at UNC-Chapel Hill are authorized as follows: a plus or minus may be affixed to letter grades B and C; the grade A may be assigned a minus, but not a plus; the grade of D may be assigned a plus, but not a minus.

Grade Protests

If you wish to protest a course grade in a summer class, first talk to the instructor. If you cannot resolve the matter with the course instructor, consult your dean or designated adviser to determine if you wish to appeal the grade according to the following procedure. Submit a written appeal together with any relevant graded papers and evidence of unfair or discriminating grading practice to your academic dean no later than the last day of classes of the subsequent fall semester.

Generally, you must show proof of an error or explain how you were graded differently from others in the same class. The dean refers the appeal to the administrative board of the college or school and also to the chairperson of the department in question. The latter appoints a committee to consider the appeal and then makes a recommendation based on the committee’s findings to the dean’s administrative board. The decision of the administrative board in such cases is final.

Visiting students should file an appeal with the Dean of Summer School and provide the same information noted above.

The University’s Policy on Prohibited Harassment and Discrimination ( prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of an individual’s race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Appendix B of this Policy provides specific information for students who believe that they have been discriminated against or harassed on the basis of one or more of these protected classifications.

Students who want additional information regarding the University’s process for investigating allegations of discrimination or harassment should contact the Equal Opportunity/ADA Office for assistance:

Equal Opportunity/ADA Office

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
100 E. Franklin Street, Unit 110
Campus Box 9160
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599
Telephone: (919) 966-3576
Fax: (919) 962-2562

Any administrator or supervisor, including a department chair, associate dean or other administrator, who receives a student’s complaint about prohibited harassment or discrimination must notify the Equal Opportunity/ADA Office within five (5) calendar days of receiving the complaint. If a student raises a claim of prohibited harassment or discrimination during an academic appeal, an investigation of the student’s claim must be performed under the direction of the Equal Opportunity/ADA Office. The school or department must await the results of the harassment or discrimination investigation before deciding the student’s academic appeal.

Grading Scales


A Highest level of attainment
B High level of attainment
C Adequate level of attainment
D Minimal passing level of attainment
F Failed, unacceptable performance
IN Work incomplete
AB Absent from final examination
FA Absent from final examination, failing and could not
have passed even if the examination had been taken


H High Pass
P Pass
L Low Pass
F Fail

IN Work incomplete – temporary grade that converts to an F* unless the grade is replaced with a permanent grade by the last day of classes for the same term one year later
AB Absent from final examination – temporary grade that converts to an F* unless the grade is replaced with a permanent grade by the last day of classes for the same term one year later